Wellness Weekend, February 2-6, 2012
Hi Everyone! Well, my computer wasn’t participating today, so this will be a short blurb to our WW this week. But a short intro doesn’t mean YOU skimped in any way in last week’s event–in fact, it was the biggest event ever!! I can’t thank you all enough or tell you how impressed I always am with your creativity and the variety of healthy dishes in the event. I’m looking forward to this week’s, too!
UPDATE: I had to sneak back in to let you know about an exciting event this coming Monday, February 6th! I’ll be hosting a Tweet Chat (chat on twitter) with Amy Green (of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free), all about “Beyond the Gluten Free Diet.” It will be a little sneak peek into the topics at Nourished, the food blogger conference (at which I’ll be speaking on April 13th) for those of us on special diets!
Here are a few favorites on the theme of “quick”:
- Orange Cilantro Dressing from Gluten Free Cat whips up in a jiffy!
- Scallion Cashew Vegan Cheese from City Life Eats is faster than most vegan nut cheeses to make, and sure does look delish!
- Triple Berry Smoothie from The Grecian Garden provides loads of antioxidants and a hit of green as well.
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory: Mama’s Green Power Juice from Flip Cookbook. How great to see that y’all love green juices as much as I do!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet: Healthy Almond Joy Bars from Adrienne at The Balanced Platter. I’d say this recipe took you all by storm, with almost 150 clicks to the thumbnail!
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with!
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this weekend! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included!
Here’s How to Participate (PLEASE READ THESE GUIDELINES CAREFULLY BEFORE LINKING UP!):
- The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) within the past week that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). Use the Linky Tool at the bottom of the page. Please do not link more than once to the same web page!
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL PER POST, PLEASE.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
- As always, I hate to remove links, but will do so if they don’t comply with the guidelines. I will try to email you to let you know, but I can’t always do so–if you’re wondering why your post was removed, you can email me, or read the last section below.
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome!
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they are a re-post of a blog entry that is more than one week old, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- Only one thumbnail per post, please. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE read the guidelines before posting!