Wellness Weekend June 7-11, 2012
Happy Wellness Weekend! Welcome to another week of amazing, creative, irresistible foods–all made by YOU!
Once again, you’ve blown me away with the incredible lineup of recipes from last week. Seriously, when am I going to make all these recipes?? (because, really, I want to make them all). Thank you for continuing to participate and support Wellness Weekend!
Today was a mega-busy day for me, as I attended a language and literacy conference, sponsored by the college where I teach. Almost ten hours of sessions about pedagogy, student writing, technology-enhanced learning, language across the curriculum, new forms of research and more. . . and I was pooped! It will be great to settle down and see what yummy foods y’all post this week.
- Iris from The Daily Dietribe is celebrating a landmark birthday this month–and holding a contest with some great prizes! She’s asking that you bake a gluten-free cake in honor of her birthday and send the recipe to her. For details (and to see the great gifts for the winners), check her birthday post.
- Carol of Simply. . .Gluten Free offers a plethora of giveaways every single month–seriously, you HAVE to check these out! A quick glance revealed (to name but a few): Justin’s nut butters, Wholesome Sweeteners, Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss, and. . . a Kindle Fire! Head on over to check the full list and enter as many as you’d like!
- If you’re a sweets lover like I am, you might like to check out two articles I posted this month. First, on Fitalicious, I offer ways to create delicious dairy-free, sugar-free ice creams (plus a recipe for Mint Chip Ice Cream); and on The Balanced Platter this month, I’m sharing key tips on how to incorporate stevia into your sweet treats.
- What are your favorite healthy-eating cookbooks? I shared my Top Five essential cookbooks on Fitalicious as well. Feel free to mention your own picks in the comments!
- If you follow me on Facebook, you saw my mention of a super giveaway coming your way tomorrow. Can’t wait to share! Be sure to come back and enter for a chance to win a prize pack of raw, organic goodies (and contest is open Worldwide! Whoo hoo!).
- This week I’ve got a great raw foods giveaway to offer! Win a prize pack from Live Organic Raw foods. The giveaway is open worldwide and will continue until next Friday, June 15th at midnight. Go here to enter!
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include as many as I can each week.
This Week’s Highlighted Recipes:
For today’s theme, I thought I’d reflect how I ate today, and focus on portable foods. Here are this week’s picks:
- Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cooking Quinoa would be a great treat to take on a picnic.
- Raw Sprouted Buckwheat Granola from For the Love of Food could be packed in ziploc bags and taken along with you on your next camping trip.
- Cole Slaw from Gluten Free, SCD and Veggie is the perfect food for a BBQ with friends. And this one is creamy without mayo!
- Sweet Potato Kale Chips from A Life Unprocessed would be great to snack on while on the go.
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Chickpea Cheese from Vegan Mommy Chef. I love this concept! (Plus supercute pic of one very happy kiddo).
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: With more than 100 clicks, you loved the Mocha Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Drizzle from Hobby and More this week.
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with!
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this weekend! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included!
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link more than once to the same page from your blog.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome!
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link.
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE read the guidelines before posting!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)