Welcome to another edition of Wellness Weekend! It’s been a mega-busy week for me (seems I say that more and more often these days, hmmmnnn?), filled with lots of marking, writing, cooking, recipe development and, courtesy of The Girls, time outside in the sunshine. And you’ve all definitely been busy, too–creating healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes to share right here! Your contributions made last week’s Wellness Weekend the biggest one yet, with almost 60 entries! Yippee! As always, thanks so much for linking up and sharing your fabulous culinary creations.
There’s also an ever-growing list of Newsy Tidbits to share! But before I get to that this week, I’ve also got a question for y’all:
I’d love your feedback on this question! Please let me know what you think in the comments below.
Question: I’ve noticed several blogs running a weekly “recap” post (usually on Sundays) in which they provide links back to the past week’s blog posts with a short blurb. This is great for folks who follow the blog but have missed one or two of the posts along the way, or for folks who may have time only one day a week to read that particular blog–all the info in one place!
I’ve been thinking of doing this kind of “review” post for a while, and combining some newsy tidbits, as well as some bits of life in the DDD household, recipes that aren’t posted on the blog (there’s just no time to blog everything I cook up!), etc., in an email newsletter. What do you think? Would you be interested in subscribing to a DDD newsletter? If so, how often? What (else) would you like to see in it?
I’m hoping that my blog revamp will be up and running in the fall (I know; I’ve been working on this for quite some time. . . ), and a newsletter would be a natural addition , if people are interested. Please do let me know! I’m looking forward to reading your comments on this one.
And now, on to our regularly scheduled news:
- First up–for those of you who’ve already printed out this morning’s Rustic Peach Tart with Mascarpone and Oatcake Crust, please note that there was an omission in the original version (no stevia in the cheese)–I’ve corrected it now. So please be sure to get the latest version!
- I’ve mentioned before that Carol at Simply. . .Gluten Free offers ongoing giveaways, but this month she’s giving away $670 worth of Cuisinart cookware–-definitely worth another mention! Cuisinart is my favorite cookware (not to mention the fact that I literally use their processor every single day--hear that, Cuisinart?). 😉 For giveaway details, check here.
- My friend Kim from Welcoming Kitchen is giving away a copy of one of my favorite cookbooks, Blissful Bites by Christy Morgan. Christy’s book is full of healthy, do-able recipes that taste great (you can read my review here). Hop over to Kim’s blog to enter--the giveaway ends tomorrow!
- The Mega-Ebook Sale Continues! Thanks to all of you who’ve taken advantage of the Mega Summer Ebook Sale so far! As I mentioned last week, you can purchase any two of my ebooks for just $10.95 (and yes, that includes Sweet Freedom!). The sale will continue only until August 31st, 2012, so if you’ve ever thought about buying any of these ebooks, now is the time! Hop over to this page to check out the details and place your order.
- There are TWO new blog parties in town! First is Healthy Vegan Fridays , hosted by Shelby of Everyday Vegan Girl, Gabby of Veggie Nook and Carrie of Carrie on Vegan. Be sure to check it out tomorrow–and get all the deets here. Then, go take a look at Megan’s (Allergy Free Alaska) Whole Food Fridays event, which also launches tomorrow! For more information, check the event post.
- Stay tuned for a DDD cookbook giveaway next week. I’ll be profiling one of my cookbook role models and mentors next week, and giving away her latest book. Be sure to come back to read her answers to my interview questions, check out a new recipes, and enter for the book!
- And finally, Wellness Weekend is one year old! In fact, it’s almost a month since that 1-year anniversary, but with the summer flying by, I completely missed it. I can’t thank you all enough for jumping in with full-force enthusiasm for fabulous, healthy, sugar-free and gluten-free vegan recipes here! I honestly go through the list each week and sigh out loud because I can’t make each and every one. They all sound so good! Thank you for your amazing support of the event and for joining in each week. Here’s to more Wellness Weekends–and your wellness, too! 😀 xo
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include as many as I can each week. PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email.
And now for this week’s picks! Here are some of the recipes that caught my attention this week–all are foods I’d like to try to eat more often:
- Creamy Kale and Cherry Salad from Gluten Free Cat. Because really, can we ever have too much kale? (And cherries are just perfection in a small package).
- Kelp Noodles with a No-Peanut Sauce from The Mommy Bowl. After reading Deanna’s recipe, I’ve decided I have to give these noodles another try.
- Quinoa Chopped Salad with Raw Veggies from Veg Hot Pot. This looks like such a bright, fresh, and easy-to-make salad! A great, light, summer meal.
- Tofu Nut Balls from Green Gourmet Giraffe. I’ve been making all kinds of savory “balls” lately (see upcoming recipe!), and these sound like a great option for dinner or atop pasta.
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Mexican Zucchini Lasagna from The Taste Space. Y’all loved this ingenious lasagna that used zucchini instead of noodles. Yum.
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: Quinoa Energy Bars from Cooking Quinoa. Wow, you folks really took to these quick and easy granola-type bars–almost 200 clicks on the recipe so far! 😀
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with.
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this week! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included.
And don’t forget to answer my newsletter question, above–please leave your response in the comments!
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link more than once to the same page from your blog.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.”
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link.
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)