Are you all ready for the first Wellness Weekend of September?! I hope that everyone who headed back to school last week is having a good term so far. And if you just got back from late-summer holidays, welcome back, too. I have no doubt there will be some amazing fall-themed foods on WW this week!
Last week’s recipes reflected a back-to-school theme and the fact that people are in an autumnal frame of mind (except those of you Down Under, in springtime frame of mind, of course!). 🙂 And with the change of seasons comes a slew of events.
THANK YOU to everyone who sent congratulations on my book deal, and many thanks to everyone who has volunteered to test for the book! At this point, I will work through the nearly 100 emails and get back to you all with more information. I will be selecting a group based on various factors including location, so stay tuned! If you are still interested and would like your name added to a waiting list, you can still email me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom with the subject line, “Cookbook Tester.” 🙂
- My “Surprise Package” Giveaway continues for one more week! It’s my way of saying “thank you” to all of YOU who stop by, read, comment on and support this blog so steadfastly. Enter to win a custom-picked prize pack of my favorite ingredients, kitchen tools and more. Details are here. 🙂
- I was a bit late mentioning this last week, so here it is for those who missed it: enjoy vegan shwarma, ground “beef,” meatballs or pepperoni--all made at home, and without tofu or tempeh! VegNews featured four of my faux meat recipes last week. You can find them here.
- My friend Christy is giving away a copy of Eat Well, Eat Raw, the new book by vegan superstar raw chef Doug McNish. Head over to Christy’s blog to read an interview and enter to win. Contest ends on Sunday.
- Another great giveaway from The Blender Girl: enter to win a VitaMix 750! I know many of you asked for that as your kitchen tool in my own Prize Package giveaway, so you might want to check it out! Continues until the end of the month.
- If you’re looking for ways to use up the season’s last blueberries, Blisstree.com has six delicious recipes–-including my Kale and Quinoa Salad with Fresh Blueberry Vinaigrette!
- Now you can “Pin It” directly from your choice of photo on DDD! To pin any post, just hover your cursor over your chosen photo. You’ll see a “Pin It” button appear on the upper right side. Click on it, and pin the post right from here–easy peasy! Hope you enjoy this new feature. 🙂
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include a few each week (depending on how many requests I get, I may not be able to include them all).
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email. 🙂
This Week’s Picks:
It’s almost fall! How about some fall-themed dishes-plus using up the last of those garden veggies?
- Four Easy Pickle Recipes from Small Footprint Family. A great way to preserve those cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini and extra greens!
- Summer Cilantro Zucchini Pasta from Out to Lunch Creations. You may have noticed I’m on a bit of a raw kick lately. . . this raw zucchini pasta looks divine!
- BLT Corn Pinto Bean Salad with Raw Eggplant Bacon from The Taste Space. A stunning dish that really showcases fresh corn!
- Raw Sweet Heat Beet Salad from Gluten-Free Cat. Beets are one of my favorite autumn foods. . . heck, they’re one of my favorite ANY-time foods! With beets, apple, basil and jalapeno, this salad is right up my alley (cat). 😉
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Chickpea Flour Omelets from Triumph Wellness. I love a good tofu omelet, but this chickpea version is a great way to enjoy a vegan omelet without the soy–and so easy!
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: This week’s reader favorite sweet treat was actually a drink! Omega-3 and Fiber-Rich Chocolate Milkshake or Ice Cream from VeggieNook. With gorgeous photos and and such healthy ingredients (the secret thickener is one of my favorites!), how could you resist? 😉
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter and Facebook (there’s a new, shorter twitter hashtag, too, so you can write more about the food: #WWknd as well as the original #WellnessWeekend).
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.” Also, if you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go!
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky. 🙂
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”).