Welcome back to Wellness Weekend! First, let me say “thank you” to everyone who sent Happy Birthday wishes via twitter and Facebook over the weekend–what a lovely way to make the day even more special! The HH and I celebrated on Sunday (and it was so great to get a break–even if only half a day!). I also got some gorgeous earrings from my honey (one size fits all–thank you, HH). 🙂
And now, on to this week’s Pre-Halloween edition of Wellness Weekend! Have you seen as many Halloween-themed foods on blogs as I have this past week? Choosing foods to prepare will be almost as tough as choosing an appropriate costume! (If you read my last blog post, you’ll also know that the HH and I don’t give out Halloween candy any more–and the reason why).
- You’ll find a great roundup of healthy pumpkin recipes here at Whole New Mom. Lots of vegan options, too. Trick or treat! 🙂
- I’m thrilled to share this preview of the new Simply Gluten-Free magazine, due out November 6th at a Whole Foods or Barnes and Noble near you!! The magazine looks simply beautiful. And check out my two “Stellar Vegan Holiday Desserts” while you’re browsing! 😀
- I was delighted to be interviewed by Caryn Hartglass, the voice behind REAL Radio, for her show “It’s All About Food” last Tuesday. We chatted about healthy eating, how much North American diets have changed, candida and more. Check the clip here, or you can check out the entire archives here.
- Cutco Knife Giveaway: Healthy Life Lessons is giving away a Cutco Santuko knife to one lucky Canadian! Cutco knives are well known for their long lives and great customer service. I’ve had one for over 10 years and still use it daily. Head over to Erica’s blog to enter! Ends October 31st.
- Have you been following The Blender Girl’s month-long Breville giveaway event? Each day features a new vegan recipe made with a food processor–and chance to win one! My Roasted Potato Salad with Avocado Pesto was featured last week. Be sure to check out all the recipes and enter to win! Ends October 31st.
- Please join me on Pinterest! It’s another great way to keep track of recipes you love. I’ve also created a new board to showcase recipes from my upcoming cookbook–the recipe testers and I will be adding photos on a regular basis. 🙂
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include a few each week (depending on how many requests I get, I may not be able to include them all).
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email to dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. 🙂
This Week’s Picks:
Here are some favorites on the theme of “Liquid Nourishment”:
Chocolate Almond Milk from Gluten-Free Cat. Heather shows us how to create this rich, creamy treat from scratch!
Frozen Bouillon or Super Vegetable Stock Concentrate from The Mommy Bowl. Now you can be prepared for all those recipes called for it!
Plum Ginger Smoothie from Fox in the Kitchen. Another yummy beverage, this one “Easy like Sunday morning”!
Orange Juice and Pumpkin Smoothie from Green Thickies. This rich and creamy beverage is antioxidant-rich, too!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Carrot Straws from Anne-Marie Cain. Your daily dose of beta-carotene in a delicious snack!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cream Squares from Sweetly Raw. Another sweet confection made from one of my favorite autumn squashes!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter and Facebook (there’s a new, shorter twitter hashtag, too, so you can write more about the food: #WWknd as well as the original #WellnessWeekend).
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, if you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go!
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky. 🙂
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”).