It’s Wellness Weekend once again–welcome to another week of sugar-free, whole foods, healthy recipes! But before we get to the food, I couldn’t very well begin this week’s event without acknowledging the incredible storm that just swept through the US and parts of Canada.
Some of you know that the HH and I took an impulsive trip to New York last weekend as a little getaway for my birthday. As always, we had a fabulous time (I’ll post a few pics next time). As it turned out, we flew out of the city on Saturday evening–literally just in time to bypass Hurricane Sandy. Watching the developments on TV and twitter, my heart was aching for our friends and all the New Yorkers hunkered down there during the storm, and I can only imagine what they are all going through at present. Wishing everyone who’s now dealing with the aftermath–whether in the city or surrounding areas–a safe, dry and quick recovery from any damage.
On a lighter note, it was also Halloween yesterday. I hope you all had a great time dressing up and trick or treating! The Girls refused to participate this year, pouting in their annual photo:
“Well, if we don’t get to bark and snarl at everyone who comes to the door, it’s really not worth it, Mum.”
Those wacky Girls! Guess we’d better move on to the news!
- Don’t miss the Tiny Treats giveaway!! I’m giving away a copy of this amazing ebook filled with 25 spectacular sweet treats. The authors are also donating a portion of the book’s proceeds to an elephant sanctuary in Thailand. Read an interview with Lisa and Nicole and ENTER the GIVEAWAY here! Ends tomorrow!
- My friend Cara is hosting a Clean Eating Cocktail Party throughout November! Every day this month, she’ll post a new recipe from a different blogger, with great ideas for what to serve at your holiday or other parties and get-togethers. Cara kicked off the festivities today with an amazing Rosemary Caramel Almond Popcorn recipe. Be sure to check in throughout the month for more party-worthy recipes!
- The new Simply Gluten Free Magazine is available starting November 6 this week! In case you missed it last time, here’s a preview of the magazine, available at a Whole Foods or Barnes and Noble near you!! The magazine looks simply beautiful. And check out my two “Stellar Vegan Holiday Desserts” while you’re browsing! 😀
- Cutco Knife Giveaway: Healthy Life Lessons is giving away a Cutco Santuko knife to one lucky Canadian! Cutco knives are well known for their long lives and great customer service. I’ve had one for over 10 years and still use it daily. Head over to Erica’s blog to enter! Ends October 31st.
- I’m on Facebook and twitter! Please join me there for blog updates, health information, out-take photos of the Girls, and more!
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include a few each week (depending on how many requests I get, I may not be able to include them all).
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email to dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s theme is “replace fast food”: dishes you can enjoy as healthy alternatives to burgers, Sloppy Joes or Mexican take-out.
Squash Tortilla Soup from Real Food, Real Deals. Enjoy a little taste of Mexico in a bowl.
Coronation Chickpea Salad from VegHotPot. Just pack this one in a jar and lunch is ready to go!
Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Hemp Seed Burgers from Green Gourmet Giraffe. I love the sound of these burgers with chickpeas, hemps seeds and sweet potato. Nom!
Quinoa Sloppy Joes on a Rye Crust with Jalapeno Aioli from Vegan Richa. If you prefer, call it a pizza. Either way, you’ll be tempted by this yummy creation!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Dr. Furhman’s Amazing Bean Burgers from Triumph Wellness. Emily promises that these burgers are moist, hold together when cooked (yeah!) and are delicious.
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Raw Protein Balls from The Rebel Grrrl Kitchen. A bit of sweet, a bit of cinnamon, a bit of protein–and you’ve got a great snack, even during a cleanse!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter and Facebook (there’s a new, shorter twitter hashtag, too, so you can write more about the food: #WWknd as well as the original #WellnessWeekend).
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, if you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go!
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”).