Hi Everyone! Does the summer feel like it’s flying by for you, too? Seems it was just too cold to walk without a sweater, and now it’s already end of June!
Well, I plan to make the most of the warm season–and with lots of great food! I’ll have all the inspiration I need in your fabulous creations from last week. From raw Oreos, to Tofu Satay, to Roasted Cauliflower to Truffles and Vanilla Chia Pudding, everything looked spectacular!
It looks like many of you are winding down for the summer, so there aren’t too many news items this week! But here are some important ones:
- GOOGLE READER IS SHUTTING DOWN! In other words, if you subscribe to my blog via Google Reader, you will miss out on my posts after July 1st. Don’t let that happen! (I’ll miss you!!). I’ve heard some people are switching to Bloglovin‘, and while that’s certainly an option, my best suggestion would be to subscribe via email instead (see that nifty new “Never Miss a Recipe–Sign Up for Free Updates!” box on the right sidebar?). Emails are easy and they’ll bundle the weekly posts into one message. Pluse, I’ll be sending occasional news about my cookbook and events once they start in the fall. Don’t miss out!
- My colleague, Holistic Nutritionist Laura Harvey, is holding several workshops and seminars in the next few weeks. The first is “Fresh Juices and Smoothies for ENERGY” on July 4, 2013. If you’re in Toronto, it’s well worth checking out! More details on the Fresh Senses page.
- The Blender Girl is giving away four prize packs from Navitas Naturals, valued at $200 each, plus a copy of Julie Morris’s new Superfood Smoothies book! I love Navitas Naturals products and use them all the time in my raw foods, smoothies, and baking. Check out the great prize and enter to win here.
- Did you miss the live Hangout On Air I held with Allyson Kramer? We chatted about cooking and baking when vegan and gluten-free, the recipe development process, the process of writing a cookbook, favorite recipes, and more. I’ll be sharing one of Allyson’s recipes coming up, but for now, here’s the Hangout Link so you can watch in the meantime!
Do you have a blog linky event or giveaway you’d like me to mention? I also will occasionally mention new courses that bloggers offer their readers. Send me an email with the details to dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom and I’ll include three or four each week. Please note that I cannot always accommodate all requests.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s picks all focus on the theme “quinoa salads”–that is, salads made with one of my very favorite ingredients!
Quinoa & Avocado Salad from In Fine Balance. Quinoa. Avocado. What else does one need to be happy?
California Quinoa Salad from Fulfilled. This sounds like a great, light salad for summer.
Mexican Quinoa Salad from Tessa the Domestic Diva. Arriba! What a great combination of flavors in this salad!
If you’re interested in other quinoa salad recipes, you can check out some of mine on the blog, too:
- Quinoa Salad with Buckwheat and Cranberries
- Quinoa, Roasted Beet, and Walnut Salad
- Quinoa and Wild Rice Salad
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Lentil and Mushroom Burgers from Awaken Your Taste Buds. These look like such hearty, substantial burgers! Great for the summer BBQ season.
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Raw Oreo Cookies from The Healthy Maven. How great do these look?! I was never a huge fan of real Oreos, but I’d be all over these!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter, Facebook and Pinterest, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky. 🙂
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
DDD READERS: It May Be Time To Update Your Subscription!
I know that many of you, like me, read your favorite blogs via Google Reader. Well, if that’s how you keep up with DDD, be warned that Google Reader is closing down as of November 1, 2013! (I know–boo hoo). I am always so grateful for your visits and your comments on the blog and I don’t want you to lose touch!
To ensure that you continue to receive notices whenever I add a new blog post–or to get updates on the new cookbook or other happenings here at DDD–you can easily subscribe via email. Just sign up in the “subscribe” box at the top right of the page. That way, you won’t miss a thing! You’ll receive every new DDD post right in your Inbox. Thanks so much for reading. 🙂 (And if any of you know of other good readers to use, please feel free to share in the comments!).
© Ricki Heller 2013.