It was our turn in Canada last week, now it’s your turn in the U.S.: Happy Independence Day, Americans! I hope you are all having a wonderful time this holiday July 4th with family and friends.
And if you’re still looking for a little food inspiration. . . wowzah, last week’s Wellness Weekend can deliver! From Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits to Spicy Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup to Smoky BBQ Tempeh Pizza and Blueberry Peach Crumble, we had a fabulous roundup for you! Check it out here.
What’s new this week? From giveaways to what’s interesting on the web, there’s lots to share this week! Here’s the lineup:
- Jesse from Out To Lunch Creations is giving away a 32 ounce jar of Gold Label Tropical Traditions coconut oil! This is the top of the line oil (I’ve tried it–it’s great), so well worth entering. Contest ends July 13th. Enter here.
- If you follow a special diet of any kind–vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, allergy-friendly, and so on, do you worry about what to bring to all those summer potlucks and BBQs? Here’s a list of some of my favorite foods to bring to all those warm-weather events. Something for everyone over at The Balanced Platter.
- I’d love your opinion! I recently joined Instagram and while it’s lots of fun, it occurred to me this week that you can’t see what I post there unless you have an iPhone (unless I’ve got that wrong? Someone correct me if so, please!). Bad, bad Apple! So, I decided to share my most popular Instagram pics here on WW as well. . . just for fun. What do you think? Should I make this a regular feature?
- Sonnet from For the Love of Food is giving away a great ebook on food photography, by Lindsay of Pinch of Yum. You can enter until July 8th, here.
- Regular readers are likely aware that I tend to go through phases where I cut out most or all grains for a period of time. Why do I do that, you ask? Well, here’s my take on grain-free, over at Fitalicious.com.
- Are you on Pinterest? I’d love to see you there! Come say “hi” and let me know you’ve followed so I can follow you back. There’s even a special Wellness Weekend board for all of your recipes!
- Don’t forget that my Diet, Dessert and Dogs Facebook page is closing down in the fall. . . if you follow me there, hop over to the new Ricki Heller page and “like” that instead! (Or hey, you can “like” that page even if you don’t follow DDD–hee hee!). 😀
- And finally, come back tomorrow for this amazing recipe (raw chocolate chunk/chocolate chip cookies) and a great interview with the authors of Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free: A Whole Food Starter Guide and Cookbook, Alisa Fleming and Hallie Klecker!
Do you have a blog linky event or giveaway you’d like me to mention? I also will occasionally mention new courses that bloggers offer their readers. Send me an email with the details to dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom and I’ll include three or four each week. Please note that I cannot always accommodate all requests.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s picks all focus on the theme “sauces.”
Mushroom Marinara with Fresh Herbs from Lisa’s Kitchen. Makes me wish I could still eat mushrooms. . .at least I can have the sauce! Yum.
Easy Raw Tomato Sauce from Practical-Stewardship. I love raw sauces in the summer. Doesn’t this look fresh and yummy?
Spicy Plum Sauce from What Smells So Good. Great on so many things–even pancakes! 🙂
If you’re looking for other easy sauce recipes, you can check out some of mine on the blog, too:
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Smoky BBQ Tempeh Pizza from Vegan Richa. Another winning pizza from the mistress of all things vegan+pizza!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Raw Nut Free Lemon Bars from Nom Yum Free. A raw bar WITHOUT nuts? Yes, please!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter, Facebook and Pinterest, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky. 🙂
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
DDD READERS: Did you update your subscription?
I know that many of you, like me, used to read your favorite blogs via Google Reader. Well, if that’s how you kept up with DDD, be warned that Google Reader closed down as of July 1st, 2013! (I know–boo hoo). I am always so grateful for your visits and your comments on the blog and I don’t want you to lose touch!
To ensure that you continue to receive notices whenever I add a new blog post–or to get updates on the new cookbook or other happenings here at DDD–you can easily subscribe via email. Just sign up in the “Never Miss a Recipe” green box at the top right of the page. That way, you won’t miss a thing! You’ll receive every new DDD post right in your Inbox (plus my upcoming newsletter–hoping to start in the fall!–with more tips, information and photo highlights that won’t appear on the blog). Thanks so much for reading. 🙂
© Ricki Heller 2013.