Happy August–and happy Wellness Weekend! And for those of us in Ontario, it’s also a long holiday weekend–whoo hoo!! For those of you nearby, hope you have a wonderful Civic Holiday! (The HH and I will be taking some much-needed down time, just chillaxin’ in the sun, enjoying the outdoors and frolicking with The Girls).
But I know you’re all here for the food–so here you go! Last week’s event was, as usual, filled with mouth-watering goodies. We had 31 entries–6 of which were ice cream! (Well, we all have to take one day off a week, right?). So with warm weather in full force, let’s keep the summer fare coming!
- I’m thrilled to be participating in the August Vegan Mainstream Cookbook Club! Along with Kathy Patalsky, Dreena Burton and Miyoko Schinner, we’ll be talking all month about cooking with fresh herbs! We’ll also be sharing favorite recipes and participating in weekly Google hangouts. The Google Group for the event is where you can find out all the information, share your own comments and questions, share recipes, etc. And of course it’s free to join.
- Amber at The Tasty Alternative is holding a great giveaway of Diva Stuff All-Natural beauty and skincare products. What you put on your skin is just as important as what you put in your mouth! Read Amber’s review and enter to win $40 worth of the products, here. Runs until August 9th.
- One of my own favorite summertime treats is this Caramel Ice Cream (here made with added brownie bits)! It’s one of the favorite recipes that made its way to my cookbook, along with about 60 new recipes not on the blog. (And don’t forget, you can preorder the book here!).
- Do you link up to Heather’s Raw Food Thursdays event? I try to play along whenever I can. So I was doubly pleased when my Raw, Grain-Free Two Bite S’Mores received a mention! Thanks, Heather. 🙂
- What’s summer without fresh berries? If you’re looking for ways to incorporate more of these little gems into your foods, check out my latest post on Fitalicious.
- You all know how much I love kombucha, right? Well, Leanne at Healthful Pursuit is giving away cases of it! It’s a great giveaway concept–the more entries, the more prizes. So check it out on her blog (ends August 11th).
Do you have a blog linky event or giveaway you’d like me to mention? I also will occasionally mention new courses that bloggers offer their readers. Send me an email with the details to rickiATrickihellerDOTcom and I’ll include three or four each week. Please note that I cannot always accommodate all requests.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s picks all focus on the theme “blended recipes.”
Blue Moon Banana Soft Serve from The Alkymist. A yummy soft serve (and welcome to first-time contributor, too!)
Organic Roasted Almond Butter from The Tasty Alternative. You know how much I love homemade nut/seed butters? (8 recipes on the blog, that’s how much!)–and this one looks fabulous.
Hydrating Banana Bread Smoothie from Gluten Free Cat. Nom! It’s been some time since I had banana bread. . . this would be a great way to enjoy it again. 🙂
If you’re looking for other blended recipes, here are some of my favorites on the blog, too:
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Tamales with Kale, Beans, and Sofritos from Farmers Market Vegan. Perfect summer dish to enjoy on the patio.
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Raw Chocolate Mousse Cake from Sweetly Raw. And then top it off with this dessert! 🙂
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky. 🙂
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never Miss a Recipe–or a Comment from the Dogs!
To ensure that you continue to receive notices of new blog posts, to get updates on the new cookbook or other happenings here at DDD–you can easily subscribe via email. Just fill in the “subscribe” form here. After you confirm your subscription (you’ll receive an email letting you know you’ve subscribed), you’ll be set to receive every new DDD post right in your Inbox (plus my upcoming newsletter–hoping to start in the fall!–with more tips, information and photo highlights that won’t appear on the blog). Thanks so much for reading. 🙂
© Ricki Heller 2013.